Monday 23 April 2012




Packaging your Item


Creating the Right Impression

So you sold an Item, thats the end of the hard work right??
Wrong - What you want to achieve now is to bring the buyer back to your store or in some case you may want them to visit another one of you selling platforms. Perhaps you have a blog or Website that you would like them to visit...
Sending the item in recycled packaging, newspaper or Carrier bags is not the kind of Impression a business owner wants to give their customers.
There are some exceptions when I would say this does no apply; 
Craft Sellers for instance may wrap theirs in newspaper, or use recycled wrapping because its part of what they do or it ties in with their look


The packages below are wrapped in newspaper, but some thought has been put into them







My Experiences of packaging;

1. Purchased a Top (Used) From an online Ebay seller it came in a Pink Bag Then inside it was Very Neatly Folded in a Plastic Clear bag with a Pretty compliments slip. My first thought was how lovely it looked and I had to go and leave her a glowing feedback as it was sooo nicely presented....I had not even looked at my Item Yet

2. Same again I bought some girls tops for my daughters and they came in a re-used grey mailing bag. Scrunched up and then wrapped tightly with loads of sellotape.
Now I didnt think "oh my god the packaging is awful" but what I did do was get the tops out and closely inspected the item.

You see in case 1 I had already in my mind decided that I loved the item before I opened it because it was nicely presented, but in Case 2 my immediate thought was Oh no I hope these are ok.

Two of my favorite online Retailers have to be Mini Boden & Joules.
When the packages come I tend to not want to open them as they look so nice...to me it says QUALITY, CARE, BRILLIANT ITEMS before I have opened them.

Joules Mailing bags



Now im not saying go spend a fortune on Fabulous
Packaging, but do make an effort, it really does make a difference.
I have even purchased Items from my competitors just to see how they package their Items.

So What Should I Use?

Of course the answer to this depends on what you sell. Personally I use;
Clear bags and enclose a compliments slip inside, then put into a pink mailing bag if its for a female and a blue one if its for a male. 
If I sell a designer item over £20 I usually send in an unused box where possible with tissue paper. (if you can only find a used box, just tape the tissue paper to the inside, so it looks nice and clean when your buyer opens it)
I also print a sticker with my logo and attach to the front of my Package.
 
The one thing I will do when my business can afford to is buy some professionally printed stickers as mine look a bit cheap, but they do the job.

When you are starting out you may just want to buy 1 size of bags and use them for everything`... that's fine but here's what I usually have in my 
packaging box;

 
  • 12 x 16" Pink & Blue Mailing Bags - I can get most things in these

  • 9 x 12" Pink & Blue Mailing Bags - I use these for small items such as vest tops
    TIP: If you offer free postage on smaller items, the smaller package you can get them in (without ruining your presentation of course) The Less packing will cost. Most Times I can post a vest top as a Large Letter 
  • 17 x 22" Pink & Blue Mailing Bags - For Larger Items These are big enough to put a large Padded coat in
  • Brown Paper - Always useful for packaging anything in a box
  • Sticky Tape

  • Tissue Paper in both Blue & Pink
  • Return address stickers
  • Clear Food Bags 12 x 18"








  • If you are selling Clothing/Apparel DO NOT Use Grey Mailing Bags if you are a business. Not only have I read that they can leave items with a smoky Smell (Not sure how true this is), they also look Awful. I know that they are cheaper but just add the few pence extra onto your postage costs to cover it.
  • IMO I Would not use Documentation slips that just stick on the front of bags. I never open them I just sling them in the Recycling...How many other of your buyers will do this. **In some cases these may be the best option if you are selling thousands of items a week as they can make things quicker to pack
  • The more bags you buy in one purchase the less they cost- I always purchase mine from Amazon or Ebay
  • If you have an Epson Printer you can pick up a set of Inks for a couple of pounds
  •  Always print return address labels out and place one on the back of your packages - I have received several undelivered items back because I did this



 More Packaging Ideas 





www.flickr.com






Follow Me on Pinterest

For Loads More Packaging Ideas See our Packaging Board on Pinterest


Useful Squidoo Lenses about Packaging

http://www.squidoo.com/stand_out 

http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-tie-different-types-of-decorative-bows-gift-wrap-packaging 



No comments:

Post a Comment